How and Why to Acquire a Second Passport Legally
by Philip Thomas, Expat Extraordinaire
The most commonly asked question I receive on a weekly basis always involves the issue of obtaining a second passport. Clearly there is a strong desire to have a second passport not only in the fringe marketplace but also in mainstream culture. It seems the natives are restless.
Nearly every day we get an inquiry as to how to obtain a second passport, but the most common question is always, “Why?”
The twin towers bombings from 2001 and the global economic crisis have exposed cracks in the foundations of western countries. People’s perceptions are changing especially in regards to peoples safety, privacy, and liberty. We are no longer willing to entrust our life and our freedom to the vagaries of any one government. Most of us no longer trust government as being a modality that is capable of creating liberty.
The world is going global and more and more of us are discovering that we can make better livings abroad and that the possession of a 2nd Passport increases our degree of freedom, our latitude of movement and protects the money we earn from unfair taxation.
From a safety standpoint, even the most casual knowledge of history shows that a second passport can easily save your life. Those that need one in a desperate hour may have wished they had made the effort to acquire one when the opportunity was upon them.
For you American readers, there could conceivably come a day when obtaining a second passport becomes impossible. With all the new protectionist and privacy laws been thrust upon the American people, the door may soon be shut effectively locking you inside your home country with no option of moving. It has happened before in other countries and it can certainly happen in America.
On a positive note, there are huge opportunities to be gained by having a second passport. Up until the past few years, America has been the land of opportunity where entrepreneurship and investments have flourished. Globalization and technology have opened up the doors to the world and for the first time in America’s history it is now easier to make more money outside of America than inside.
The new expats are going to smaller countries with faster growth rates. They are also migrating towards pristine and peaceful nations where real estate is still a bargain. They are working globally as telecommuters and they are using the internet to make a living in cyberspace. There is a huge uprising of border-less entrepreneurship – and border-less is where you want to be.
A second passport gives us a continuing second option like a global insurance policy allowing us to make use of various countries for the better attributes while avoiding the less than ideal qualities. In reality it provides you with a better and unified set of options not available to Americans with only one passport.
When the doors of opportunity are shut or freedom is restricted in one country through various means like exchange controls or emergency emigration legislation to stop the outflow of intelligence or capital, your second passport is literally your ‘passport’ to freedom. There will be a breaking point in America and other nations where they feel control is rapidly deteriorating and measures will be taken to reign in the nations’ subjects.
Do you want to live free? Or will you be content as a slave to the state with 50% of your productive earnings going towards the nanny state legislation designed to keep you under control? What are we really talking about here? We are talking about freedom; the ability to move ourselves and our family as well as our financial and physical assets to a jurisdiction we feel is better suited to our future success. Is that wrong to want the best for ourselves and our families? Is it a crime to want to survive and prosper? Do you love your family enough to ensure their freedom?
Below are 7 reasons you will soon wish you had a second passport:
- Exchange controls inside the United States are now eminent, it is only a matter of time.
- The United States Government in order to prevent massive capital displacement will slam exchange controls in place suddenly and without warning, those that have not taken preventive measures will be trapped along with their assets.
- The United States government will place ‘emergency emigration legislation’ in place overnight in order to prevent a massive out-flux of emigrants seeking lower taxes and better jobs abroad. They will have a different name for it, something like “Save the Children Campaign” and they will only be acting to prevent you from moving abroad to save your children from harm. The name won’t matter. The result will be the same. Without a second passport your chances of escaping will be nil.
- Countless Americans are now leaving America. As pointed out in the book Escape From America, the State Department is not releasing the actual numbers. If you’ve read Escape From America and you still want to remain in America then getting a second passport is the one sure insurance policy you can get that you won’t lose everything or become trapped when the doors are suddenly closed. Too many Americans are waking up to these issues for it to remain a secret. When it becomes common knowledge, only common people with common brains will be unprepared.
- With a second passport, your basic human right of travel is almost unrestricted and will remain so.
- With only one passport you will find that you are not allowed to work or settle in another country and that you will not be able to make the shift to a border-less economy or lifestyle.
- Your finances and your life are going to become more and more threatened by your country’s political instability from race riots to run away taxation. A second passport is a second option, one that remains eternally present in a dresser drawer. Something you can count on when the chips are down. You can do as you please and act as you please, because you always have more than one option and no master.
Should I even mention the tax benefits available? Or how not to get caught in Big Brother’s tax net? In recent years, many countries have been altering their tax code thus making financial privacy difficult at best. However, if you have more than one nationality you can reduce and even legally eliminate your tax burden. Most high-tax countries exempt foreigners who live there for less than 6 months in a given year and some even have multi-year exemptions like Sweden. Once you obtain your second passport you can live tax free in these high-tax countries as a foreigner.
Certainly we have all heard the stories from “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous”. By having a second passport you can enjoy that type of lifestyle once only the secret of multimillionaires. Don’t you think they all have a second passport? It has always been my experience that if you want to live like the multimillionaires, you need to emulate their choices.
Today there is no need to run afoul of the law or even be a multimillionaire to acquire that coveted second passport. There are multiple was to obtain one now as many smaller countries have programs in place to attract educated workers and capital.
Do you want to learn the truth behind second passport deals? Each country has its own citizenship rules – some welcome individuals with ancestral or cultural history while others recognize your religious connections. Some are available for buying real estate while others only require your residency for a certain period of time.
The quickest and easiest way to acquire citizenship is through state contributions, or investment in the state. Or simply put, purchasing citizenship. These are considered programs for individuals who act as financial benefactors or special investors.
Editor’s Note: For additional information on this and related topics, see our new website: PremierOffshore.com.